Saturday, June 23, 2007

Links from 6/23 meeting

I enjoyed the meeting so much today. I appreciate being invited and am indebted to all of you for allowing me to participate. And Rob, thanks for letting the rest of us say something on occassion.
I found it refreshing to hear our divers opinions on what we have written, how to write and what's worth reading. As I told Jamie, I had been looking for a writing group, and consider it good fortune to have stumbled amongst such a group of intellectuals. I hope I can contribute something of value; and that I'll be invited again.
I really need your command of grammar to tighten up years of writing in bullet point fashion for the business world. It has destroyed my ability to write a cohesive paragraph.

Here are the references I talked about today for your reading pleasure:

The War of Art by Steven Pressfield is the book that propelled me from thinking about writing to actually tapping keys.

Jim Butcher's blog on his website: http://jimbutcher.livejournal.com/
Read from the bottom post to the top post. Alternatively, I copied into a word file for easier reading: email me and I will e-mail it back to you. This is about Storycraft I discussed. This is particular to writing short stories and novels, not directly to screenwriting.

Once again, I am honored to be a member in training, and hope you'll invite me to the next one.

2 comments:

Antiquus said...

Mark, I'm sure I can safely speak on behalf of the Kindlings when I say that we were glad to have you. I, for one, am always interested in finding other aspiring Catholic writers. I agree with you that our diversity, both in attempted projects and viewpoints, makes the Kindling vital. When Steve (aka Rufus, our auxiliary member in Steubenville), Rob and I formed this group, we didn't know what to expect. There were a lot of grand visions but we've pretty much let it unfold sort of organically. A couple of original members have fallen away but new ones have along, too, which leads me to believe that what we have to offer each other (and hopefully an audience one day) is worthwhile.

We don't stand on ceremony. If you want to continue with the Kindling, you're more then welcome. Best to tell you this now so you don't wait for the "official" invitation. The Kindling is very unofficial and at least equally unofficious, I hope.

Wilkommen.

arowbee said...

Mark,

I got The War of Art as an audio book and now Steven Pressfield is kicking my ass every time I get in the car. This is the perfect book for me. Thanks!

Antiquus,

Did we finally drop the "s" from "Kindlings"? I rejoice if this is so...

Rob