Thursday, September 14, 2006

Two Donkeys

I have a little donkey on my desk that is supposed to remind me to work like the donkey at the water wheel Escriva (Opus Dei) wrote about. It's sort of an "action figure" that my wife bought at Target, but I'm not a donkey--I'm an ass. At least, that's what I've always thought. But we can debate that some other time....

Enjoy.


Asinine Thoughts of Mine

The donkey on my mantle must wonder
exactly what it is I do all day.
I do not show what burden I’m under;
I do not pull a cart, eat any hay.

While he is always busy in the fields,
I sit at a computer typing words.
A different kind of green is my life’s yield
from his that feeds and fattens all the herds.

I often wish that my own sweat and toil
could be as simple as that of an ass.
That I could stain my hands in dark black soil,
that I could be the cause of God’s green grass.

But, no. It seems that wasn’t meant to be.
For I am not a donkey, I’m just me.

RDD
09/14/06

No comments: